Friday, January 14, 2011

Lindsey My Love

Ok, is it bad karma voodoo that it took me this long to write you back? I am not even going to make promises of how often I will post because if I do that I will fail due to Murphy's law. ANYWAYS I feel like it has been forever since I have heard your voice on the phone! I miss you! I am sure you are working like a fiend making delicious treats...and since you are in a working bakery I thought you might appreciate this:
This is the way we make cookies for 96 schools across the Salt Lake Valley. Actually, I didn't even get to make them since I don't work in the kitchen that often, but I couldn't help but gawk at this machine as I walked past. I wanted to just snitch some off the top. Cooking in mass production, as I'm sure you have seen on some level, is a whole different beast. I had no idea. 

I have to admit, I KNOW this is what I'm supposed to be doing right now but sometimes I wonder if I will ever be ready to be a dietitian (as I eat a bag of Doritos....no really, I am right now). I mean I'm no picture of health. I do what I can, but I don't have the self control to say no to wonderful confections when I ought to. I know I don't exercise as much as I should, and at the end of a hard day food DOES make me feel better. NO one can convince me otherwise. Ah well, maybe my ability to understand 98% of the general American populations in those same habits will work to my advantage eventually. 

I still can't believe that I'm 25 now. few! That went fast! I still feel like I'm 13 sometimes. Today I was sitting in the car with all of the people from the office and they were talking about mortgages and tax forms. I just got so flustered that I didn't know what they were talking about or how they figured it all out! I mean it's not like I'm a dumb person! But then, even as they were talking about it, I thought they probably didn't know what they were getting into when they signed up for everything. A mortgage is just something everyone has, taxes are just something everyone does...and even if you don't know what you are doing you do it. Or at least that's what I've concluded after 25 years. 

I'm glad that you are taking some time off to become a republican version of Ana Pascal! :) I can just see you there with all your crumpets, cupcakes and coffee flitting from customer to customer with a smile on your face. You already know the regulars orders and have it ready at the same time each day. You wait patiently as some sticky hand 3 year old presses his runny nose against the glass trying to make the impossible decision of what cookie he wants. His mom on the other end of the child leash chatting on her cell phone and balancing her 3 coffees in the other hand. You are amazing. And guess what you will get the numbers down, If you aren't already I bet you will be the fastest 10-key entry girl on the East coast! You are smart and I don't think a little math problem is going to stumble you. And there will be some nights that your count is so close that it will be worth just slipping an extra dollar out of your own wallet to make the counts match. (just make sure it never goes the other way around!) I think it will be a great semester of freedom in a way, at the end of the day you are done. Leave work at work, unless it means bringing home a delicious crescent roll to munch on while you watch bones. 

I have not seen the show you were talking about. I still haven't even seen the Autistic kid movie that you suggested a while ago. I really want to see that one! I did however get a movie from the library the other day called Fanny. It was a cute show. Kinda slow, but cute...and there are the funniest old men in it. That was my favorite part! :)
IMDB: Almost 19-year-old Marius feels himself in a rut in Marseille, his life planned for him by his cafe'-owning father, and he longs for the sea. The night before he is to leave on a 5-year voyage, Fanny, a girl he grew up with, reveals that she is in love with him, and he discovers that he is in love with her. He must choose between an exciting life at sea, and a boring life with the woman he loves. And Fanny must choose between keeping the man she loves, and letting him live the life he seems to want.

I also just finished a book called the Help. That. was an awesome story. All of these women tell their stories of what it was like to raise white children in the south during the civil rights time period. While the rest of the world was moving forward in integration their they were stuck in this time warp in cotton country. I laughed and cried and if a book can pull both those emotions and not make me sick with some over descriptive love scene it's good enough for me. 

Annnyyyways. Write me back! I love you to the moon! *TOOOO THE MOOOOON! (you've seen Despicable me haven't you?)


No comments:

Post a Comment