I know you texted me tonight but I was in the middle of watching Bright Star
on Netflix (Have you seen that?? I stopped right before it got sad, and up til then it was fabulous. Like watching a love poem unfold. I think that was the point). Anyways, the movie put me in a contemplative/writerly mood, so I decided to inagurate the Wild Lindssica blog. I don't have much to report tonight except for the news that yes, I decided to take this semester off and really let my inner Ana Pascal loose at the bakery (FYI I signed something saying I would never write the actual name of my work on a personal blog, that's why I never just call it by its real name. So annoying, but I guess that's a smart policy. They don't want some disgruntled ex-employee's blog to be the first thing that pops up when someone Googles _ _ _ _ _ _ Bake Shop.)
My reasons for taking a leave of absence from school are: I'll be saving money, getting my groove back, it's only one semester, I need the break, maybe I can fly home to the west more often!, and theoretically, I should have more time to relax now. I'm not so sure how this will work, though, when I'm scheduled to work the night shift EVERY. WEEKEND. This month. Someone's head is going to roll for that decision... unless it was in penance for me taking two weeks off for Christmas. Whatever, they didn't open the store until 2 days before I got back, it's not like I was leaving them in the lurch!
Ahem. No but I really am liking work. I have just discovered that I have ZERO. Math skills. Left in my brain. (why. am I using. so many periods?) I've been near panic the last two nights of work (the first nights I've closed solo); I'm in charge of all this complicated end-of-day accounting stuff, and I have just had to count and recount the safe money, drawer money, the nightly deposit, the tip count, the total sales, total combined net cash, blah blah blah cuz I keep getting it wrong and it's intense. Haha, do you remember that semester when you took accounting and Sarah and I became professional distractors? It was like our fiendish pleasure to entice you to put off a study session with Norm every chance we got. In fact, under some of our oldest, most classic FB pics, you have comments about accounting underneath them. Ah, good times, those college years...
Well, this original blogpost was intended to be one for the ages, something like John Keats' "A thing of beauty is a joy forever" or his "Bright star! would I were steadfast as thou art/Not in lone splendour hung aloft the night,/And watching, with eternal lids apart,/Like Nature’s patient sleepless Eremite,/The moving waters at their priestlike task,/Of pure ablution round earth’s human shores,/Or gazing on the new soft fallen mask/Of snow upon the mountains and the moors..." Swoon.
Nope, it's 12:30 at night (my work schedule has me on night owl mode!) and it's time to just settle in for a long winter's nap. It's really cold and blustery out here. But only a dusting of snow! Just the way I like it. Hope it's snowy enough for you over there in Salt Lake, my PC ski bunny friend. I really did love your blog post about your family's Christmas. How fun that you can all ski together. My family just watches movies and cuddles. :) Not that I'm complaining! I love my family, and Christmas break felt darn near two weeks worth of perfection. It's been a joy to see my family growing and changing, especially how my dad grows in patience, charity, and joy as he attends to my mom's needs. That's one blessing that's come from Parkinson's disease. I hope I talk to you soon, I want to hear all about the internship and life in general. Oh, I saw Adam's beard pic- funny! You're married to a mountain man, when did this happen??
Talk to you soon.
Love,
Lindsey

No comments:
Post a Comment